|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unbleached all-purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Rolled oats||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Quick rising dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Skim milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium-size bowl stir together the wholewheat flour, 1 1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour, 1 cup of the oats, the yeast and salt, and make a well in the center; set aside.
2. Combine the milk, sugar and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan over low heat and bring it to 110° (just warm to the touch). Meanwhile, separate the egg; place the white in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Beat the yolk in a small bowl, then beat in 1/4 cup of the milk mixture. Add both milk mixtures to the dry ingredients, and stir until a dough forms.
3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead it 5 to 7 minutes, kneading in the remaining all-purpose flour as needed. Place the dough in a medium-size bowl, cover it with a damp kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place to rise 45 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°
5. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Punch the dough down and knead it on a lightly floured board 1 to 2 minutes. Form the dough into an 8-inch round and place it on the baking sheet; set aside, uncovered, 15 minutes.
6. Beat the egg white and spread it generously over the top of the loaf with a pastry brush, then sprinkle the loaf with the remaining oats. Bake 25 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool the bread on a rack before slicing.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3022 Calories from Fat 185
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.5%
Saturated Fat 3.5 g17.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.6 mg1.5%
Sodium 399.7 mg16.7%
Total Carbohydrates 608 g202.7%
Dietary Fiber 60.7 g242.7%
Sugars 47.5 g
Protein 107 g213.6%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 3.9%
Calcium 50.2% Iron 190.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet