Traditional Saj Bread
|Active dry yeast||2 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Oil||1 (For Coating The Dough)|
1. Put yeast in 1/4 cup of the water, add sugar and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Sift 2 1/2 cups of flour and the salt into a warm bowl.
3. Form a well in the center and pour in yeast mixture and remaining warm water.
4. Begin to mix with hand, wooden spoon, or dough hook, adding remaining flour as needed.
5. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until smooth and no longer sticky.
6. Oil a large bowl, place dough in it and turn to coat with oil.
7. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place free of drafts for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
8. Dough should be doubled in bulk.
9. Knead for a few minutes then divide into balls about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
10. Roll balls into circles on a lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin, or flatten into circles with hand.
11. Flip the flattened dough on a curved hot surface (similar to an upside down wok).
12. Bake for less than a minute on one side and then flip to cook the other side. Sometimes you only cook on one side, depends on your preference.
13. Pile your bread sheets and cover to keep soft and warm or serve immediately.
14. You may use these sheets of bread as a wrap for anything you like such as cheese, meats or veggies.