Whole Grain Soda Bread
|Wheat berries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dark raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rolled oats||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dark brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (1 Cup Plus 2 Teaspoons)|
1. Place the wheat berries in a small bowl, add 1/2 cup of boiling water and set aside to soak 1 hour, or until soft.
2. Place the raisins in another small bowl, add hot water to cover and set aside to soak.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°.
4. Lightly spray a 9-inch round baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
5. Drain the wheat berries and raisins.
6. In a large bowl stir together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats, walnuts, sugar, caraway seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and make a well in the center. Pour in 1 cup of the buttermilk, the egg and oil, and stir to blend. Add the drained wheat berries and raisins, and stir just until the mixture holds together as a soft dough; do not overmix.
7. Spoon the dough into the prepared pan, mounding it slightly in the center, and brush it with the remaining 2 teaspoons of buttermilk.
8. Bake the bread in the center of the oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool 10 minutes, then cut it into 12 wedges.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2150 Calories from Fat 640
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 72 g111%
Saturated Fat 8 g40.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg70.5%
Sodium 2726.3 mg113.6%
Total Carbohydrates 323 g107.5%
Dietary Fiber 41.5 g165.9%
Sugars 74.3 g
Protein 69 g138%
Vitamin A 5.8% Vitamin C 5.2%
Calcium 98.1% Iron 98.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet