Buttermilk Whole Grain Bread
|Whole wheat flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages, 1/4 Ounce Each)|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil/Butter||7⁄10 Cup (11.2 tbs)|
|Cracked wheat||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Rye flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. Put 4 cups whole wheat flour, the brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and yeast in very large bowl. Mix well.
2. Heat the buttermilk, water, and oil until very warm. Add to the dry ingredients and beat at medium speed of an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups whole wheat flour and beat at high speed for 2 minutes. Add enough cracked wheat and rye flour to make a firm dough.
3. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until elastic. Put in an oiled bowl and turn to oil the top. Cover with plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to touch the dough. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled.
4. Punch the dough down and turn out on a floured surface. Cover with the same sheet of plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
5. Shape into four loaves and put in oiled 8- by 4- by 2-inch loaf pans. Let rise for 30 minutes or until doubled.
6. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
7. Bake the breads for about 35 minutes. Turn out on racks to cool.