|Brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Non-fat dry milk powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Grated orange rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Wheat germ||2 Tablespoon|
|Toasted sesame seeds||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Toasted cashews||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unbleached white flour/Whole wheat pastry flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Put the sugar, oil, and dry milk in a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 1 egg, the orange rind, and vanilla and mix for 2 minutes longer.
3. Stir in the wheat germ, 1/4 cup of the sesame seeds, the cashews, and raisins and mix well. Stir in enough flour to make a dough that can be rolled. Shape into a ball. Cover and let the dough rest for 10 minutes; divide into two.
4. Roll out half of the dough into an approximate 16- by 5-inch strip. Transfer carefully to an oiled baking sheet, using wide spatulas if necessary to prevent breaking. Beat the remaining egg lightly and brush over the dough strip. Sprinkle with half of the remaining sesame seeds.
5. Repeat rolling, brushing, and sprinkling with second half of the dough. Bake the strips for 45 minutes, or until lightly browned and done.
6. Cut into 1-inch strips, on the diagonal if desired, while still hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4759 Calories from Fat 1910
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 221 g340%
Saturated Fat 32.2 g161%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 429.8 mg143.3%
Sodium 332.3 mg13.8%
Total Carbohydrates 614 g204.6%
Dietary Fiber 41.4 g165.7%
Sugars 221.7 g
Protein 107 g213.8%
Vitamin A 10.2% Vitamin C 11.7%
Calcium 207.6% Iron 274.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet