Cracked Wheat Bread
|Bulgur||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Cracked Wheat)|
|Wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Packages)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In small saucepan over medium heat, heat bulgur and 3/4 cup water to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes or until water is absorbed, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, in bowl, combine whole-wheat flour and 4 cups all-purpose flour; set aside. In large bowl, combine salt, yeast, and 1 1/2 cups flour mixture. In 2-quart saucepan over low heat, heat honey, butter or margarine, and 1 1/2 cups water until very warm (120° to 130°F.). Butter or margarine does not need to melt.
3. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat liquid mixture into yeast mixture just until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Beat in 1 cup flour mixture to make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes, scraping bowl often. Stir in bulgur and 2 cups flour mixture to make a soft dough.
4. Lightly sprinkle work surface with all-purpose flour; turn dough onto surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, working in remaining flour mixture while kneading. Shape dough into ball and place in greased large bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place (80° to 85°F.) until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. Punch down dough. Turn dough onto floured surface; cut in half; cover and let rest 15 minutes. Grease two 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" loaf pans.
6. Shape each half of dough into loaf; place, seam side down, in loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake loaves 30 to 35 minutes until loaves test done. Remove loaves from pans; cool on wire racks.