Basic Yeast Bread
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (110 F)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside.
2. Measure milk in a 1-cup glass measuring cup. Heat uncovered in microwave oven until hot (about 45 seconds at High). Add butter, sugar and salt. Cool to room temperature.
3. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, dissolved yeast and milk mixture in a mixer bowl. Beat with mixer until well blended (about 1 1/2 minutes). Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
4. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead 4 to 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 1 1/2-quart glass loaf dish.
5. Measure 1 1/2 cups water in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Heat uncovered in microwave oven to boiling (3 1/2 to 4 minutes at High). Place bread dough in microwave oven next to water. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 5 minutes at Low. Leave in microwave oven until doubled in bulk (about 30 minutes).
6. Remove water from microwave oven; set bread aside away from drafts.
7. Preheat convection oven to 375°F.
8. Place bread dough on bottom metal rack. Cook in convection oven 30 to 40 minutes at 375CF, or until top of bread sounds hollow when tapped. Loosen edges with spatula and remove bread to cooling rack for 30 minutes.