Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bread
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rolled oats||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
1. Scald the milk and stir in the shortening, brown sugar and salt. Stir until dissolved and cool to lukewarm.
2. In a large mixing bowl, soften the yeast in the water. Stir in the lukewarm milk mixture, add the oats and sufficient flour to make a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic, or about ten minutes; the dough will spring back when pressed with a finger.
4. Place the dough in a warm greased bowl, grease the surface, cover and let rise in a warm place (80° F.) until doubled in bulk, or about two hours; the dough will retain a finger imprint when pressed.
5. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured board, divide into thirds and shape into loaves. Place the loaves, sealed edges down, in greased 9 x 5 1/2 inch bread pans. Brush the tops with melted shortening, cover and let rise until almost doubled in bulk, about one hour.
6. Bake in a preheated hot oven (400° F.) about forty-five minutes.
7. Remove from pans and cool the baked loaves on racks.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4613 Calories from Fat 637
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 73 g112.1%
Saturated Fat 20.1 g100.3%
Trans Fat 3.9 g
Cholesterol 45.2 mg15.1%
Sodium 2642.1 mg110.1%
Total Carbohydrates 842 g280.7%
Dietary Fiber 50.8 g203.3%
Sugars 86.5 g
Protein 134 g268.9%
Vitamin A 9.2% Vitamin C 0.03%
Calcium 79.4% Iron 264.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet