Basic Oatmeal Bread
|Dry yeast||2 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Skim milk||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Rolled oats||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Egg whites||2 , beaten|
1. Sprinkle yeast into warm water.
2. Scald milk and mix with oats, honey, oil, and salt.
3. Cool to lukewarm and add wheat germ and 2 cups of whole wheat flour. Beat well.
4. Add yeast mixture and egg whites. Beat well.
5. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 10 minutes.
6. Place in bowl. Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour.
7. Punch down. Divide in half and let rest 10 minutes. Shape into loaves and place in nonstick loaf pans. Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
8. If you like, brush loaf tops with 1 beaten egg white and 1 tablespoon water. Then sprinkle rolled oats lightly over the tops.
9. Bake 375Â° for 40 minutes. Cover with foil for last 20 minutes to prevent burning. Cool on racks before slicing.