Simple Sourdough Bread
|Sourdough starter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Warm water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unbleached flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
1. Combine starter, 2 cups warm water and 2 cups unbleached flour in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 8 to 12 hours. This is called a sponge. It will be bubbly when ready to use.
2. Scald milk. Stir in honey and allow to cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast onto milk and stir until dissolved. Combine this with the sponge.
3. Add 2 cups of the whole wheat flour and the wheat germ. Mix well.
4. Sprinkle salt and baking soda into dough and stir gently.
5. Cover and let rise about 30 minutes.
6. Add enough unbleached flour until dough is very stiff. Knead 8 minutes on a floured surface.
7. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in nonstick loaf pans. Let rise until double.
8. Bake at 400Â° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325Â° and bake until done. Bread will pull away from the sides of the pan and sound hollow when thumped on top. Cool on a rack
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2265 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.2%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4794.8 mg199.8%
Total Carbohydrates 463 g154.4%
Dietary Fiber 63.3 g253.2%
Sugars 10 g
Protein 92 g184.5%
Vitamin A 0.5% Vitamin C 0.51%
Calcium 20.5% Iron 183.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet