De Laurenti is a popular brand of convenient store selling specaility food and wine items. They are based out of Seattle, Washington in the United States. They have two levels at the store, one dedicated to speciality food and the other to a great choice of wines. It is popular among tourists and also has a small café which offers a selection of sandwiches, paninis, and espresso based beverages.
De Laurenti was started way back in 1946, by Pete and Mae De Laurenti. The store was then known as Pete’s Italian Grocery and was housed at a different location, than the Pike Place Market of Seattle where it is today. The store was looked after by Louis De Laurenti once it moved to the Pike Place Market. It remained a family owned business for four generations till 2001, when ownership passed on from the de laurentis to new investor. However, they decided to keep the name as it is, for its goodwill and brand value. The store also holds various cheese tasting festivals as well as wine tasting festivals.
De Laurenti has a wide range of products under various categories, which are enumerated below :
- Speciality Foods comprise all that a culinary enthusiast can dream of. It houses an exhaustive selection of chocolates, breads, olive oils, pastas and meats. All of the above and more are stocked up in the store with utmost care to provide only the premium quality for each of them.
- Cheese and Deli section consists of various cheeses with the count going upto 250 varieties, which is by far the largest selection offered by any store. New varieties are added and they have a separate cheese tasting centre. At any given time of the year the store provides atleast 100 varieties of cheese.
- The Café offers a separate menu each day, and can be viewed under ‘ Today in the Café ’. They offer fresh pastries from Macrina Bakery and Le Panier, with aromatic coffee from Caffe Umbria to go with it.
- The Wine Shop offers a huge collection of wines from all over the world, with a special mention of Italian wines. Their collection houses atleast over 1800 different varieties. The list is extensive and changes from time to time.
- De Laurenti is holding the Seattle Cheese Festival in May, 2012.
- Every Saturday the store holds a wine tasting session from 2 to 4 in the afternoon.
- Three new cheeses called Middletown Tomme, Cabra Blanc and Rosa Maria were launched in March, 2012.
The De Laurenti brand of speciality food and wine items has been rated by Trip Advisor. It gives the store a ranking of # 41 out of 93 shopping stores in Seattle. It has been described as a pricey Italian Grocery. However, the quality of products and the variety of cheeses, breads, meats available has been appreciated, in spite of the high prices.