Absolut is a famous brand of vodka, which originated in Sweden and is presently owned by a French company, Pernod Ricard. It is sold across 126 countries and has popular flavours ranging from the fruity to the limited edition flavours. Some of their flavours such as the Absolut Kurant and Absolut Pears have won awards and accolades from the raters at Wine Enthusiast.
The Absolut brand of world famous vodkas was founded by Lars Olsson Smith, in 1879, who operated out of a small village called Ahus, in the province of Skane in Sweden. Even today every drop of Absolut Vodka comes from Ahus. L.O.Smith introduced the concept of fractional distillation which is a ten-fold distilling process giving the finest vodka at the end of the process. It is made from winter wheat and approximately one kg of the grain produces one litre bottle of vodka. The Absolut brand was globally launched outside of Sweden, only in the year 1979. The company was bought over by the French company V & S Group (Pernod Ricard) in the year 2008.
The Absolut brand of vodkas can be broadly divided into three categories :
- Original – This is the original and the basic flavour of Absolut vodka, loved by connoisseurs across the globe, made with the winter wheat grown in Ahus village in South Sweden.
- Flavours – These are basically the flavoured vodkas with variety.
- Absolut 100 is an intense and very masculine drink with a hint of herbs and dried fruits.
- Absolut Apeach is a fruit flavoured smooth drink with a subdued taste of peach and was launched in the year 2005. Its packaging has been done in the peachy colours of pink, yellow and orange – all pastel shades.
- Absolut Berri Acai is a new drink introduced only in the year 2010. It is a wholesome drink made of acai, blueberry and pomegranate. The three fruits are found in South America, North America and Europe, and Southwest Asia, thus pouring the entire world into a glass of vodka!
- Absolut Citron is an old and popular flavour introduced in 1988. It has a citrus lemony taste as the name suggests and contains no added sugar.
- Absolut Kurant is produced in the Ahus province of Skane, Sweden and was launched in 1992. It is made with black currants which makes it very Swedish, with no added sugar.
- Absolut Mandrin is made with the citrus fruits, orange and mandarin, with no added sugar, and a hint of orange peel for that extra flavour. It was introduced in 1999 using only natural ingredients.
- Absolut Mango is a wholesome drink with the tropical fruit bringing that fruity flavour of a ripe mango, we are all familiar with. It was launched as recently as 2007 and contains no added sugar, but made with only natural ingredients.
- Absolut Pears was also launched in 2007, alongside the mango flavour. It has a fresh pears fruity taste to which no sugar or sweetener is added.
- Absolut Peppar goes back to as early as 1986 and remains the only hot and spicy flavour, containing bell pepper – both green and red – as well as jalapeno peppers.
- Absolut Raspberri is an intense drink with the flavour of ripe raspberries, minus any added sugar or sweetener and was launched in the year 2004.
- Absolut Vanilia has the distinct taste of vanillin with hints of butterscotch and dark chocolate. It is a rich drink introduced in the year 2003.
- Absolut Ruby Red is a drink made of grapefruit which lends it the refreshing taste but contains no added sugar. It was introduced in the year 2006.
- Limited Edition – These are a range of vodkas which are special flavours and taste and are available only for a limited time.
- Absolut Vodka Blank Edition is the latest entrant to the list of Absolut vodkas, and will be available from March 2012. It has been designed by the German artist Mario Wagner.
- Absolut London was launched as recently as February 2012, in collaboration with United Kingdom’s graphic artist Jamie Hewlett.
- Absolut Brooklyn was launched in the summers in New York along with filmmaker Spike Lee.
- Absolut Watkins was launched at Cannes and has been available since January 2011. It has a distinct taste with smell of coffee and hints of caramel, almond and warm chilli. The edition has been named after artist Liselotte Watkins who created the designs for this edition of vodka bottles.
- Absolut Glimmer has a crystal shape of bottle, owing to which it has become a popular gift option.
- Absolut No Label is as the name suggests an Absolut vodka bottle with no label in an effort to defy undue importance given to branding and labels compared to the actual contents. It was launched in the winter of 2009.
- Absolut Rock is again a popular gift option owing to its specially designed bottle set to rock and roll! The bottle is wrapped in leather embellished with studs. It has been designed in collaboration with Danny Clinch and Wolfmother and was launched in September 2009.
- Absolut Masquerade is an innovative design launched for the holiday season close on the heels of the popularity of Absolut Disco. The red shimmery bottle makes for an ideal holiday gift.
- Absolut Disco has been launched for the holiday season with a tribute to discos and comes in a design imitating the mirror ball, and thereby making it a widely opted gift pack.
- Absolut Colors is a cocktail collection with rainbow colours, as a tribute to the 30th anniversary celebrations of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community.
- The famous film of 1987, Broadcast News is the first film appearance for Absolut Vodka
- Bill Barminski – the famous digital artist – made the largest and most expensive billboard for Absolut, which was displayed in Hollywood.
- The famous Broadway Musical, Rent names Absolut in its song “La Vie Boheme”