Date Bran Bread For Brown Baggers
|Pitted dates||10 Ounce, diced (1 package, Sun World)|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 Large (at room temperature)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Unbleached white flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Whole bran||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped nuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In a medium bowl, add the chopped dates and pour over them boiling water.
2. Allow the dates to soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Grease two 8 1/2-inch X 41/2-inch X 21/2-inch loaf pans with butter or oil and dust them with a little of the white flour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F before baking.
5. Into a medium, dry bowl, sift white flour with baking powder and soda.
6. Stir in the whole wheat flour and keep aside.
7. In a large-size mixing bowl, add eggs.
8. Beat them with an electric beater until pale and fluffy.
9. Add sugar, a little at a time beating constantly.
10. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, alternately adding liquid from soaked dates, stirring quickly and lightly, just enough to moisten the flour mixture and only until no dry flour is visible.
11. Add together the dates, vanilla, bran and nuts and mix quickly
12. Divide the batter between the prepared pans and tap them lightly on the tabletop to evenly spread batter and remove air bubbles.
13. Place pans on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for almost 50 to 60 minutes.
14. When the crusts are lightly browned and loaves are springy to touch or when skewer inserted in center of loaf comes out clean and dry, remove pans from the oven.
15. Let loaves cool in the pans for 15 minutes then invert onto wire racks.
16. Leave to cool completely.
17. Slice and serve for breakfast or with tea.