Bran Swiss Cheese Bread
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), warm|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|All-purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Bran cereal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|100% bran cereal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Nabisco®)|
|Swiss cheese||6 Ounce|
|Swiss cheese||6 Ounce, coarsely grated (Natural Variety, 1 1/2 Cups)|
1. In a bowl, combine flour and bran cereal
2. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) about 20 minutes before baking.
4. In a large bowl mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
5. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter or margarine until just melted. Cool to lukewarm
6. Stir milk, egg, and salt into the yeast mixture.
7. With wooden spoon or electric beater, beat flour-bran mixture until a soft dough is formed that leaves the sides of the bowl.
8. Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 4 minutes.
9. Sprinkle with cheese; knead 2 minutes longer or until smooth and elastic.
10. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
11. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
12. Punch dough down to expel the air.
13. Divide in half; shape each half into a ball or log
14. Place on a greased baking sheets.
15. With a sharp knife, make three parallel slashes about 1/2 in. deep on the top of each loaf.
16. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
17. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until it has a lovely light brown crust.
18. To test for doneness, turn the loaf and tap the bottom crust with a forefinger. If it gives a hollow, sound. If not, return to the oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
19. Let loaves cool on a wire rack.
20. Slice and serve the bread with starters or stews or use to make croutons.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4084 Calories from Fat 1988
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 225 g346.5%
Saturated Fat 130.2 g651%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1835 mg611.7%
Sodium 2678 mg111.6%
Total Carbohydrates 353 g117.6%
Dietary Fiber 35.9 g143.7%
Sugars 32.6 g
Protein 181 g361.9%
Vitamin A 189.2% Vitamin C 15.1%
Calcium 320.7% Iron 249.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet