All Bran Kolaches
|Dry granular yeast/1 cake compressed yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Scalded milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All bran||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted all purpose flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Prune filling/Apricot cake and pastry filling||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Prepared)|
1. Soften yeast in warm water. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl combine hot milk, All-Bran, sugar, shortening, salt, nutmeg and lemon peel. Cool to lukewarm; stir in 1 cup of the flour. Beat vigorously about 2 minutes or until smooth. Add softened yeast and eggs; beat well. Add enough of remaining flour to make soft dough. Remove dough to floured surface and knead about 5-8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place in lightly greased large bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place about 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
3. Punch down; divide dough in halves. Cover and let rest about 10 minutes.
4. Form each half of dough into 2 dozen balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Place on lightly greased baking sheets; flatten to about 2 inches. Cover and let rise about 1 hour.
5. With the tip of a wooden spoon make an indention in the center of each Kolache and fill with 1 teaspoon prepared filling.
6. Bake in moderate oven (375° F.) about 14 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove from baking sheets to cooling racks and sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Serve while warm or reheat.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3557 Calories from Fat 794
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 90 g137.9%
Saturated Fat 24.4 g121.8%
Trans Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 439.9 mg146.6%
Sodium 2601 mg108.4%
Total Carbohydrates 621 g207%
Dietary Fiber 30.9 g123.7%
Sugars 136.2 g
Protein 70 g139.8%
Vitamin A 91.4% Vitamin C 5.4%
Calcium 32.1% Iron 213.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet