Chocolate Bran Brownies
|Sifted all purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Semi sweet chocolate pieces||6 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole bran cereal/Whole bran cereal with wheat germ||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. Place shortening, sugar, and water in a saucepan. Bring to boiling over moderate heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat immediately.
3. Add semisweet chocolate pieces and vanilla extract; stir until chocolate pieces are melted. Add eggs and beat well.
4. Add flour mixture, cereal, and nuts; mix well. Spread batter in a greased 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
5. Bake at 325°F about 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool thoroughly in pan on wire rack before cutting in squares.