Classic French Bouillabaisse
|Lobsters||2 , pounded|
|Perch/Sea perch||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Leeks||3 , cleaned|
|Onion||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chopped|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fennel seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Coarse salt||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Melted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|French bread slices||12|
1. Cut the lobsters lengthwise and de-vein them.
2. Divide it into pieces without removing the shell.
3. Cut the mackerel, perch and the eel into 1 inch sized pieces.
4. Clean the mussels and clams by dusting the sand from them.
5. Take a pan and heat olive oil in it before adding the onions, leek and carrots to it.
6. Simmer the contents of the covered pan over low heat for 10 minutes.
7. Mix thoroughly after adding tomatoes, 2 garlic cloves, fennel grains, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, saffron, salt and pepper.
8. Add the eels and lobster meat to the pan along with 2 quarts of hot water.
9. Boil it before reducing the heat and simmering for 15 minutes.
10. Simmer for 10 minutes more after adding the mackerel and perch.
11. Clams, mussels and shrimps can now be added and simmered for 20 minutes or until the shells open up partially.
12. Brown the bread pieces after brushing each side with butter rubbed with a clove of crushed garlic.
13. Keep the bread in a basket to be served with the bouillabaisse.
14. Take heated soup plates and arrange the various fishes and shell fishes in it.
15. Place a piece of garlic bread underneath the fishes and top it with the bouillon.
16. The soup needs to be served immediately as it may lose its unctuousness within minutes.
17. It has a tendency to separate and must be prepared over constant heat.
Calories 1196 Calories from Fat 540
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.1%
Saturated Fat 16.8 g83.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 445.5 mg148.5%
Sodium 1775 mg74%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.3%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.3%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 100 g200.1%
Vitamin A 134.2% Vitamin C 74.9%
Calcium 32.1% Iron 122.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet