Rich Shortbread Biscuits
|Plain flour||225 Gram|
|Powdered sugar||115 Gram|
|Butter||170 Gram (or margarine)|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
1. Sieve the flour.
2. Cream the margarine and sugar very well until light and creamy.
3. Add the vanilla essence and sieved flour and a pinch of salt. Gradually go on mixing till it forms into a soft dough.
4. Turn the mixture on to a floured board and roll out to about 6 mm. (J") thickness.
5. Stamp into crescents or rounds and put them on a greased baking tin.
6. Bake in a hot oven at 400 Â°F. for 15 minutes.
7. Cool the biscuits on a tray and then remove.
Variations: (a) Put small pieces of glace cherry or strips of green peel on the top of the biscuits before baking.
(b) Before baking, brush the biscuits with egg-whites or water and cover with coarsely chopped blanched almond or with powdered cashewnut. Sprinkle sugar on top and bake.