Original Biscuits and Gravy
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into pats (1 Stick)|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Bacon slices||2 , diced|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, diced|
|Fresh thyme sprig||3|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coffee||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2) Biscuits : In a food processor, process the flour, baking powder and salt to blend.
3) Add butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4) With the machine running, add cream and process until the mixture forms a dough.
5) Pat the dough on a work surface to 1/2-inch thickness and cut out with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
6) Place the biscuits on ungreased baking sheets.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until browned.
8) Gravy: In a cast-iron skillet, saute the bacon, onion, thyme and flour over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
9) Stir in the milk, chicken stock and coffee; stir continuously and cook until mixture thickens into a gravy.
10) Season with salt and pepper to taste and strain through a wire mesh sieve.
11) Serve the gravy with biscuits.
Calories 1165 Calories from Fat 625
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 71 g109.5%
Saturated Fat 43.6 g218%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 232.3 mg77.4%
Sodium 1552.2 mg64.7%
Total Carbohydrates 113 g37.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17%
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 20 g39.2%
Vitamin A 51.9% Vitamin C 8.5%
Calcium 73.4% Iron 41.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet