Easter Biscuits Cookies
|Caster sugar||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Egg||1 , separated|
|Self raising flour||6 Ounce|
|Currants||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Candied peel||1⁄2 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Caster sugar||2 Tablespoon (for sprinkling)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) In a bowl, put the sugar and butter. Beat well till the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk.
3) With the currants and peel, fold in the flour and then stir in just enough milk to form a firm dough.
4) On a floured surface, knead the dough lightly and then roll it out to a thickness of ¼-inch.
5) From the dough, cut out 2 ½ inch rounds and place them on a greased baking sheet.
6) In the preheated oven, bake the dough rounds for 10 minutes.
7) Use the lightly beaten egg white to brush the rounds and then sprinkle caster sugar all over.
8) Bake for another 10 minutes, till the cookies are golden brown in color.
9) Move the cookies to a wire rack and let them cool completely.
10) If you want to freeze the cookies for better storage, flash freeze them till they are firm and then pack carefully in a rigid container. Use foil to separate each layer, seal, label and freeze.
11) To serve the cookies without freezing, serve them at room temperature or slightly chilled as a tea/coffee accompaniment. If using frozen cookies, first thaw them at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours and then serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1722 Calories from Fat 877
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 100 g153.4%
Saturated Fat 60.6 g303.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 458.3 mg152.8%
Sodium 2255.8 mg94%
Total Carbohydrates 182 g60.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.9 g31.7%
Sugars 49.7 g
Protein 26 g51.7%
Vitamin A 63.7% Vitamin C 61.2%
Calcium 69.9% Iron 52.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet