1) Preheat oven to temperature to 325 degrees.
2) Sieve the oatmeal, salt, bicarbonate of soda and flour together.
3) Rub in the butter till a consistency of breadcrumbs is reached.
4) Add the sugar and just enough beaten egg to bind the entire mixture and form a dough which is stiff.
5) Onto a floured board, roll out the dough till it is 1/4-inch in thickness. With a biscuit cutter, cut the dough and prick the tops.
6) Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or till the dough starts to brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.