Biscuits and Gravy
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into pats (1 Stick)|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Bacon slices||2 , diced|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, diced|
|Fresh thyme sprig||3|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coffee||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with grease proof paper.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt
4. Add butter cut into small cubes and rub into the flour until mixture is like cornmeal.
5. Add cream and use a spatula to bind the mixture until it comes together as a dough.
6. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and lightly roll to 1/2-inch thickness.
7. Using a 3 inch biscuit cutter or a wine glass, cut out as many circles as possible.
8. Place the biscuits on the baking sheet and rest for 10 minutes.
9. To make the gravy, heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat; add bacon, onion, thyme and flour and sauté for 5 minutes.
10. Pour in the milk, chicken stock and coffee; cook stirring until mixture thickens into a gravy.
11. Season the gravy with salt and pepper. Keep aside until ready to serve.
12. Bake the biscuits for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
13. Remove baking sheet from the oven and allow the biscuits to cool on a wire rack.
14. Reheat the gravy and strain through a wire mesh sieve into a sauce boat.
15. Serve the biscuits with the gravy.
Calories 776 Calories from Fat 417
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g73%
Saturated Fat 29.1 g145.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 154.9 mg51.6%
Sodium 550.3 mg22.9%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.4%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 13 g26.1%
Vitamin A 34.6% Vitamin C 5.7%
Calcium 48.9% Iron 27.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet