|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Orange marmalade/Jam / honey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 450°.
2) In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir thoroughly.
3) Add shortening to cut in until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and prepare well in the center.
4) Pour in buttermilk and stir the mixture to form sticky dough.
5) Use a lightly floured surface, to knead dough gently for 10 times.
6) Roll out the dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
7) Use a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter to make the cut outs.
8) Use an ungreased baking sheet to arrange the biscuits closely for soft-sided biscuits or 1-inch apart for crisp-sided ones.
9) With a fork prick the surface of the biscuits.
10) Place inside oven and bake for 5 minutes.
11) Now, reduce oven to 400° and bake 8 to 10 minutes more.
12) Serve the bread with orange marmalade, jam, or honey.
Calories 1063 Calories from Fat 471
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 53 g82%
Saturated Fat 13 g65%
Trans Fat 6.7 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 782.4 mg32.6%
Total Carbohydrates 129 g42.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.7%
Sugars 25.7 g
Protein 18 g35.1%
Vitamin A 0.5% Vitamin C 3.4%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 33.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet