Chicken with Biscuit Topping
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled, chopped|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 , finely chopped|
|Sliced mushrooms||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cooked chicken||2 Cup (32 tbs), cut into cubes|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
1) In a skillet, heat the oil and add the green pepper, mushrooms and onion. Saute the vegetables for a few minutes and add the cornstarch. Cook for about a minute, constantly stirring.
2) Gradually add the milk and stir till the mixture starts boiling. Then add the chicken and seasoning and turn concoction into a pie plate which is 8 or 9-inches deep.
3) To prepare the biscuits, sift the salt, baking powder and flour and with a pastry blender, cut in shortening till the mixture starts to look like coarse breadcrumbs.
4) With a fork, stir in just about enough milk to make a soft dough which is not sticky. On a floured board, knead the dough and roll out about ½ an inch thick.
5) With a cookie cutter, cut into dough into rounds measuring about 1 /12-inches.
6) On top of the chicken mixture, place the rounds and brush with milk. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes.
7) Serve warm or at room temperature, as preferred.
Calories 720 Calories from Fat 339
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g58.7%
Saturated Fat 10.1 g50.6%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 67.5 mg22.5%
Sodium 832 mg34.7%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.4%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 28 g56.8%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 28.9%
Calcium 39.7% Iron 23.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet