Buttermilk Breakfast Biscuits
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Powdered milk||3 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Cream of tartar||2 Dash|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cold (butter flavored)|
|Buttermilk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), cold|
|Melted butter/Melted margarine||5 Tablespoon, divided|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat Oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl add flour, powdered milk, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. Whisk them well to aerate and fluff up the flour.
3. Add the cold shortening into dry mixture and mix using hands until it resembles large crumbs.
4. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk and 2 Tablespoons of melted butter. Stir gently only till combined. Do not over mix.
5. Place dough into the refrigerator for a minute or just until it cools down a bit.
6. Sprinkle flour generously on work surface and transfer the dough on it.
7. Knead dough gently until it is elastic. Flour the hands if required as the dough can be sticky.
8. Roll or pat out dough to 1/2 - ¾ inch thick.
9. Using a wide glass or round cookie cutter, cut out circles. Reroll the extra dough and cut them into biscuits and use the whole dough.
10. Dip each biscuit into the remaining melted butter.
11. Place in an un-greased pan with the sides of the biscuits touching.
12. Bake in the oven for around 12 minutes or until golden.
13. Brush hot biscuits with melted butter.
14. In a serving plate, serve the biscuits as it is with butter or with choice of spread.