Low Fat Baking Powder Biscuits
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs) (Reserve 2 Teaspoons)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Double-acting baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Low calorie margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), well chilled (1 Tub)|
|Low fat buttermilk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (1.5 Percent)|
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray nonstick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar.
3. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; using fork, stir in buttermilk until just combined.
4. Sprinkle reserved 2 teaspoons flour on work surface; roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Using 3-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 12 biscuits, gathering up scraps and rerolling dough as necessary.
5. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet; bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1228 Calories from Fat 56
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1839.9 mg76.7%
Total Carbohydrates 243 g80.9%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.5%
Sugars 15.7 g
Protein 29 g58.1%
Vitamin A 10.7% Vitamin C
Calcium 78% Iron 79.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet