Almond Ginger Biscotti
|Non stick vegetable cooking spray||1|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Blanched slivered almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted|
|Crystallized ginger||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Whole eggs||2 Large|
|Egg whites||2 Large|
|Grated lemon zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg white||1 Large, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water|
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, until blended. Stir in almonds and ginger.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together whole eggs, egg whites, lemon zest, and extracts. Add to flour mixture. With wooden spoon, work wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined (dough will be sticky).
4. Divide dough in half. With lightly floured hands and on lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough into 14-inch-long rope, then transfer to prepared baking sheet. Flatten rope to 1 3/4-inch width. Roll remaining dough into another 14-inch-long rope, place 3 to 4 inches away from first rope, and then flatten. Brush ropes with glaze.
5. Bake in 350° oven until firm to the touch and lightly golden on top, 24 to 26 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Leave oven on. Slide loaves onto cutting board. With serrated knife, cut loaves on diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Discard ends. Place slices, cut sides down, back on baking sheet (they can touch).
6. Bake until dry, another 15 minutes, turning biscotti over after 7 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks. Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to several days