Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
|Non stick cooking spray||1|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Mini semisweet chocolate chips||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole eggs||2 Large|
|Egg whites||2 Large|
|Grated orange zest||2 Teaspoon|
|Pure vanilla extract/Chocolate extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Instant coffee powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Hazelnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted and skinned|
|Egg white||1 Large, beaten with 1 teaspoon water|
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together whole eggs, egg whites, zest, extract, and coffee powder, until powder dissolves. Add to flour mixture along with nuts. With wooden spoon, work wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined (dough will be sticky).
4. Divide dough in half. With lightly floured hands and on lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough into 14-inch-long rope, then transfer to prepared baking sheet. Flatten rope to 1 3/4-inch width. Roll remaining dough into another 14-inch-long rope, place 3 to 4 inches away from first rope, and then flatten. Brush ropes with glaze.
5. Bake in 350° oven until firm to the touch, 24 to 26 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Leave oven on. Slide loaves onto cutting board. With serrated knife, cut loaves diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Discard ends. Place slices, cut sides down, back on baking sheet (they can touch).
6. Bake until dry, another 15 minutes, turning biscotti over after 7 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack. Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to several days.