|Hazelnuts||2 1⁄2 Ounce (1/2 Cup)|
|Unsifted all purpose flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick Butter, At Room Temperature)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Anisette liqueur||3 Tablespoon (Licorice-Flavored Liqueur)|
|Anise seeds||1 Teaspoon, lightly crushed with a mortar and pestle or in a blender|
|Halved red glace cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped candied citron||2 Tablespoon (Coarsely Chopped)|
1. Preheat the oven to moderate (350°). Grease a large cookie sheet. Set aside.
2. Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer in a baking pan.
3. Toast the hazelnuts in the preheated moderate oven (350°) until the nuts are pale golden under their skins, for about 12 rninutes. Leave the oven temperature at 350°. Rub the nuts vigorously in a coarse kitchen towel to remove as much skin as possible. Cool the nuts. Halve or coarsely chop the nuts. Set aside.
4. Sift together the flour and baking powder on a piece of wax paper.
5. Beat together the butter, sugar and eggs in a large bowl until smooth and well blended. Beat in the anisette, anise seeds and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture, nuts, cherries and citron. Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a 12-inch-long log. Place the logs 3 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten the logs so that they are 2 1/2 inches across.
6. Bake the logs in the preheated moderate oven (350°) for 18 to 20 minutes or until pale golden. Leave the oven temperature at 350°. Cool the logs on the cookie sheet until cool enough to handle. Then cut the logs crosswise into 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Lay each slice flat on the cookie sheet.
7. Bake the slices in the preheated moderate oven (350°) for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove the biscuits to a wire rack and cool completely. Store the biscuits in an airtight container.
Calories 148 Calories from Fat 56
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.8%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g13.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 36.5 mg12.2%
Sodium 45 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.78 g3.1%
Sugars 8.6 g
Protein 3 g5.6%
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0.99%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 5.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet