|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Anise oil||4 Drop|
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Toasted almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease 11- x 17-inch cookie sheet. All ingredients should be at room temperature. In a large bowl, beat eggs at high speed, until tripled in volume and foamy.
2. In another bowl, beat shortening and sugar at medium speed until creamy. Add beaten eggs; continue beating till well blended. Add vanilla and/or almond extract and anise oil.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt and add to egg mixture. Fold in almonds. On lightly greased baking sheet, shape batter into 3 loaves (each loaf will be about 1 1/2 inches wide and 1/2-inch thick). (It helps to lightly oil your hands—canola oil won't affect taste.)
4. Bake for about 20 minutes. Do not over-bake. Remove from oven, and cool slightly.
5. Cut into 1/2-inch slices. Return to oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until lightly toasted. Flip slices over and toast again. Cool on rack.