Lemon Cream with Smashed Berries
|Egg yolks||4 Large|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the yolks and whole eggs with 1/2 cup of the sugar and the lemon juice until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring continuously with the heat-proof rubber spatula or wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens to a mayo-like consistency. (If the mixture gets lumpy at any point, switch to a whisk and whisk until it’s smoothed out.)
2. Strain the lemon curd through a mesh sieve into a bowl and place plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
3. Using the stand mixer, or a handheld mixer and medium bowl, whip the cream on medium-high speed with 2 tablespoons sugar until it forms softly mounded peaks. Using the rubber spatula, fold the whipped cream into the chilled lemon curd.
4. Remove the green stems from the strawberries and cut in half if they’re large. Put them in a medium bowl with 2 tablespoons sugar and, with the back of a spoon, smash them a bit to break them up. Stir in the raspberries, smashing and breaking them up a little too. Taste for sweetness and add more sugar if necessary.
5. Spoon the lemon cream into glasses and top with the smashed berries.
This is an excerpt from THE FEARLESS BAKER by Emily Luchetti. Copyright © 2011 by Emily Luchetti. Reprinted by permission of Little, Brown and Company, New York, NY. All rights reserved. To purchase THE FEARLESS BAKER visit www.emilyluchetti.com
Calories 363 Calories from Fat 175
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.6%
Saturated Fat 10.7 g53.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 248.7 mg82.9%
Sodium 45.1 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.5%
Sugars 33.1 g
Protein 6 g12.2%
Vitamin A 17.1% Vitamin C 129.3%
Calcium 8.2% Iron 8.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet