Microwave Cooked Orange Beets
|Fresh beets/Canned beets - 1 no||1 Pound, sliced, drained + 1/2 cup can liquid|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Corn starch||1 Tablespoon|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Orange peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Mandarin orange||1 Can (10 oz), segmented, drained|
1) Slice the beet into 1/4-inch thick slices.
2) To the reserved beet juice add in enough water to make 1/2 cup of liquid.
3) Into a 1 1/2-quart casserole, add in brown sugar and cornstarch. Mix well before adding in the orange juice, orange peel, 1/2 cup liquid and pepper.
4) Microwave the mixture on HIGH for about 4 minutes till it becomes thick. Mix twice in between the cooking time.
5) Add in the beets.
6) Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes on HIGH. Stir once.
7) Carefully, add in the segmented oranges. Mix gently.
8) Serve the Orange Beets as a side to rice, vegetables or meat.