Microwave Cooked Orange Beets
|Fresh beets/Canned beets - 1 no||1 Pound, sliced, drained + 1/2 cup can liquid|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Corn starch||1 Tablespoon|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Orange peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Mandarin orange||1 Can (10 oz), segmented, drained|
1) Slice the beet into 1/4-inch thick slices.
2) To the reserved beet juice add in enough water to make 1/2 cup of liquid.
3) Into a 1 1/2-quart casserole, add in brown sugar and cornstarch. Mix well before adding in the orange juice, orange peel, 1/2 cup liquid and pepper.
4) Microwave the mixture on HIGH for about 4 minutes till it becomes thick. Mix twice in between the cooking time.
5) Add in the beets.
6) Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes on HIGH. Stir once.
7) Carefully, add in the segmented oranges. Mix gently.
8) Serve the Orange Beets as a side to rice, vegetables or meat.
Calories 143 Calories from Fat 4
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.48 g0.74%
Saturated Fat 0.07 g0.33%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 91.2 mg3.8%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.5%
Sugars 25.3 g
Protein 3 g5.3%
Vitamin A 11.7% Vitamin C 68%
Calcium 4.9% Iron 6.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet