Asparagus And Beet Salad With Tarragon
|Beets||2 Medium, with root ends and 1 inch of the tops left on|
|Asparagus spears||8 Large|
|Fresh tarragon/1/2 teaspoon, dried||2 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
1) In a small heavy saucepan of boiling water , add the beet to cook for 30 to 45 minutes, until tender.
2) Drain the beet and allow cooling at room temperature.
3) Peel the beets and cut into 2-inch julienne strips.
4) In a large pot of boiling salted water, place the asparagus to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until tender but still bright green.
5) Drain and rinse under cold running water. Thoroughly drain and cut the spears into 2-inch lengths, then quarter lengthwise.
6) In a large bowl, add beets and asparagus. Toss by adding tarragon, olive oil and lemon juice.
7) Season the beets with salt and pepper to taste.
8) Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature to let the flavors develop before serving.
9) Serve the salad by garnishing with lemon slices, if desired.