Sweet and Sour Beets
|Beets||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 425°.
2) Wrap the beets in aluminum foil.
3) Place the wrapped beets inside oven to bake for 1 hour, or until tender when pricked with a knife.
4) Remove from the oven and let cool.
5) Discard the ends and peel off the skin from the beets. Cut the beets into 1/8-inch-wide matchsticks.
6) In a large skillet, melt the butter over moderately high heat.
7) Add the beets and cook, tossing frequently, for about 2 minutes.
8) Add the vinegar, sugar and salt and cook the beets until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
9) Serve the beets warm or at room temperature by seasoning with freshly ground black pepper, salt and few drops of lime juice, if desired.
Steps 1-5 may be prepared in 2 days advance. Cover the beets and refrigerate for later use.