Salted Harvard Beet
|Beets||1 Pound (1 Medium Bunch)|
|Water||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs) (Divided)|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Wash and scrub beets clean then trim off the tops.
2. In a medium (1 ½ quart ) microwaveable casserole or dish, arrange beets and cover with warm water.
3. Cover dish with wax paper or plastic wrap and cook beets for about 11 minutes, until tender when tested with a knife.
4. Refresh beets in cold water and drain.
5. Pare with a sharp knife then slice or cube.
6. In the same casserole or dish blend cornstarch, sugar, salt, pepper, water and vinegar.
7. Cook 3 minutes, stirring after every minute.
8. Add the beet slice or cubes to the sauce and toss to coat.
9. Reheat for about 5 minutes if you wish to serve beets hot.
10. Serve the beets hot or cold as a side or as a salad over lettuce if you like.