Beets In Burgundy
|Canned julienned beets||1 Pound (1 Can, Do Not Drain)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red burgundy wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Drain beets over a bowl to catch the liquid.
2. Measure and reserve about 1/4 cup of the beet liquid.
3. Take a saucepan and tip in corn starch, sugar, cloves and salt.
4. Add the reserved beet liquid, stirring to dissolve corn starch and sugar.
5. Then pour in the vinegar and red wine
6. Place the pan on a medium low flame and cook, stirring constantly until the liquid thickens to resemble a sauce.
7. Add the beet juliennes and slide in the butter, stirring until the butter melts to form a rich sauce.
8. Cover the pan and simmer beets for 15 minutes until well heated.
9. Serve the beets warm with the sweet buttery wine sauce.
Calories 428 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.5%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.1 mg5.4%
Sodium 434.4 mg18.1%
Total Carbohydrates 90 g30.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.6%
Sugars 83.4 g
Protein 0.91 g1.8%
Vitamin A 4.3% Vitamin C 5.4%
Calcium 2.4% Iron 5.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet