Chili With Beer Chili Con Cerveza
|Dried kidney beans||2 Pound|
|Ground beef||2 Pound|
|Onions||1 Pound, chopped (4 Medium Ones)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Chili powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Beer||24 Ounce (2 Cans Of 12 Ounce Each)|
|Canned tomato paste||12 Ounce (2 Cans Of 6 Ounce Each)|
|Green peppers||2 Medium, chopped|
1. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan or stock pot, soak beans in enough water to cover and let stand overnight, adding more water if required.
2. In the beans and soaking liquid, add 1 tablespoon salt.
3. Bring to a boil, then cover pan and cook for 1 hour, or until tender, adding more water as required to keep beans covered.
4. Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown beef and onion adding a little oil if meat is very lean.
5. Pour off fat excess fat and drippings from the skillet.
6. Stir sugar, garlic, chili powder, dry mustard, and 1 tablespoon salt into the browned meat.
7. Tip in 1 can beer and stir well.
8. Cover skillet and simmer meat for 30 minutes until tender then take off the heat.
9. When the beans are cooked add tomato paste, green pepper and meat mixture to it and stir well.
10. Cover pan and simmer beans and meat for about 25 minutes.
11. Add remaining can of beer, adjust seasonings and simmer for 5 minutes until bubbly.
12. Serve the chili hot over buns, in tacos or use as required.
Calories 871 Calories from Fat 291
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.2%
Saturated Fat 11.4 g57.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80 mg26.7%
Sodium 1652.7 mg68.9%
Total Carbohydrates 98 g32.5%
Dietary Fiber 22.6 g90.3%
Sugars 17.5 g
Protein 49 g97.3%
Vitamin A 49.1% Vitamin C 88.3%
Calcium 15% Iron 61.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet