Brontosaurus Ribs - Ballistic BBQ Outdoor Cooking Contest
|Beef short ribs||3 1⁄2 Pound (Uncut short ribs)|
|Barbecue rub||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (store bought)|
|Soaked beans||1⁄2 Pound, soaked overnight (ranchero pinto bean)|
|Jalapeno pepper||1 Large, diced|
|Salt pork fat||1⁄4 Pound, chopped|
|Diced tomatoes||7 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Cumin powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Kosher salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Water/Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apple juice||4 Tablespoon|
|Coleslaw||200 Gram (1 packet)|
|Italian dressing||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (good seasons brand used)|
|Apple cider vinegar||4 Tablespoon|
1. On a chopping board, place the uncut short ribs and remove unwanted fat from it. Coat the entire rib in barbecue rub, making sure the entire piece is coated well.
2. Place the coated rib in a zip lock bag and Keep it in the refrigerator overnight.
3. Start the smoker for smoking the short ribs. Remove the zip lock bag from the refrigerator and keep aside.
4. In an aluminium pan, place the soaked beans, jalapeno pepper, salt pork, tomatoes, cumin powder, chilli powder, kosher salt, black pepper powder and water. Mix well.
5. On the smoker grate, place the marinated short ribs and the aluminium pan. Cover and let it cook for 4 hours. After 2 hours, spray the short ribs with some apple juice and apple cider and pour more water in the aluminium pan if required.
6. In a large mixing bowl, empty the coleslaw packet. Stir in a salad dressing mix with apple cider vinegar and canola oil in a small bottle and add the resulting Italian dressing and toss well.
7. Once done, transfer the ribs onto a plate and cover it with an aluminium for a few minutes before serving.
8. Serve the brontosaurus ribs with cooked ranchero pinto beans, coleslaw and some macaroni and cheese.
You can make your own Italian dressing by using red wine, canola oil and apple cider vinegar.
Calories 859 Calories from Fat 626
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 70 g107.1%
Saturated Fat 28.5 g142.7%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 130.7 mg43.6%
Sodium 1319.3 mg55%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.9%
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 29 g57.5%
Vitamin A 10.8% Vitamin C 18.4%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 19%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet