Cumin Beef with Celery
|Beef steak||12 Ounce, trim any fat or gristle, sliced very thin against the grain (blade or flank)|
|Reduced sodium soy sauce||5 Teaspoon, divided|
|Cornstarch||2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Vegetable oil||5 Teaspoon, divided|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Celery stalks||3 , sliced diagonally ¼-inch thick, leaves chopped and reserved separately|
|Red bell peppers||2 Small, cut in 1-inch cubes|
|Chinese rice wine vinegar/Dry sherry||4 Tablespoon|
1. In medium bowl add sliced beef, 2 ½ teaspoons of the soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch; toss to coat beef.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a wok or large sauté pan over medium high heat until it just starts to smoke. Add meat to wok and sear. Stir-fry the meat about 2 to 3 minutes until cooked through. Remove meat from wok and set aside.
3. Add the remaining 3 teaspoons of oil and heat over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes and heat, stirring constantly, for about 10 seconds to release their flavors; watch carefully to prevent burning.
4. Then add celery and bell peppers and stir to incorporate.
5. Cover wok with lid and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes until crisp-tender.
6. Return meat to the wok and any juices that have accumulated. Stir-fry to heat through.
7. In small bowl mix the remaining soy sauce, cornstarch and rice wine until cornstarch is dissolved, then pour mixture into wok and bring to a slight boil; cook for about 1 minute or until the sauce thickens slightly.
8. Turn off the heat and add the chopped celery leaves so they just barely wilt, but don't cook.
9. Serve over steamed rice or cooked noodles.
Recipe by Zoe McLaughlin
Calories 446 Calories from Fat 204
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.3%
Saturated Fat 5.1 g25.7%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 103.8 mg34.6%
Sodium 614.9 mg25.6%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g5.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.5%
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 40 g79.5%
Vitamin A 85.9% Vitamin C 275.3%
Calcium 6% Iron 34.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet