Braised Beef Ribs with Cranberries
|Beef short ribs||4 Pound|
|White onions||2 Medium, coarsely sliced|
|Fennel bulb||1 Small, cut into long pieces|
|Thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon (3 sprigs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), coarsely chopped|
|Cranberries||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beef broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (FOR RUB)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (FOR RUB)|
|Cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon (FOR RUB)|
|Dry sage||1⁄2 Teaspoon (FOR RUB)|
1. Prepare the ingredients according to the list.
2. In a small bowl, add salt, pepper, cumin, dry sage. Mix well.
3. Take the beef short ribs and apply the rub generously on both the sides.
4. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
5. In a large pan, heat olive oil.
6. Place the beef short ribs in it and sear them till brown on all sides.
7. Remove the browned meat and drain the excess fat rendered from the meat leaving a little in the pan for cooking.
8. Add the onions, fennel, thyme and sauté till softened.
9. Put the garlic and stir well.
10. Pour a little red wine to deglaze the pan. Scrape out the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
11. Add the cranberries and return the beef to the pan.
12. Pour the remaining red wine and the broth.
13. Bring it to a boil and cover with a lid.
14. Place it in the oven for 2 hours or till the meat is tender. Remove from the oven.
15. On a serving plate, serve it hot with mashed potatoes.
Calories 1964 Calories from Fat 1553
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 173 g265.7%
Saturated Fat 72.9 g364.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 344 mg114.7%
Sodium 2115.5 mg88.1%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 68 g135.2%
Vitamin A 4.2% Vitamin C 35%
Calcium 12.4% Iron 32.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet