A Russian main dish prepared with beef and vegetables.
300 Gram (tail end)
4 Tablespoon (to shallow fry)
1 Teaspoon, chopped finely
2 Teaspoon (use as per taste)
Plain boiled rice
2 Cup (32 tbs) (as accompaniment)
Wild rice grains
2 Tablespoon (for garnish) (Optional)
1. Wash and peel the carrots and cut into neat baton shapes.
2. Using a sharp knife, peel the orange thinly.
3. Then, cut half of the peel into very fine julienne.
4. Into a saucepan place the baton carrots.
5. Add the sugar and salt to taste and add the orange zest.
6. Cut the remaining orange into half and squeeze out the juice into the carrots, removing any pips that may escape.
7. Put the pieces of squeezed orange into the saucepan.
8. Just cover the baton carrots with water.
9. Bring to the boil, turn the heat down to a simmer, place the lid on the saucepan and cook until the carrots are just cooked and little bit crunchy.
10. Remove the large orange pieces leaving the fine julienne orange peel mixed with the carrot batons and drain into a colander.
11. Serve the carrot batons in warmed dishes or on warmed plates.
12. To finish, add a knob of butter to the carrot batons.