Betty's New England Boiled Corned Beef Dinner-- for St. Patrick's Day!
|Corned beef brisket||3 Pound (2.5-3)|
|Seasoning mix||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (packet of seasoning, if it comes with your corned beef brisket (If your corned beef brisket does not come with seasonings, add spices you like, such as thyme, red pepper flakes, ground mustard, and black pepper—or omit this step) (Optional)|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs) (just enough to cover the meat)|
|Garlic clove||2 , mince|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|New potatoes||8 Small, unpeeled|
|Carrot||4 Medium, peeled and quartered|
|Onion||4 Small, peeled and halved (or 2 medium onions, quartered)|
|Cabbage head||1 Medium, cut into 8 wedges (You may remove the core or leave it)|
1. In a Dutch oven or large pot, place corned beef brisket along with the seasoning. Rub the seasoning on meat.
2. Pour water to just barely cover the brisket and add garlic cloves, and bay leaves in it. Place the pot on medium to high heat and bring it to a boil.
3. Cover the pot, reduce the flame of oven to low, and simmer for about 2 hours or until meat reaches a temperature of about 160 degree F when measured with thermometer.
4. Add potatoes, carrots, and onion. Cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are partially cooked, but slightly firm.
5. Taste and season with salt and then add cabbage wedges. Cover, and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until done. Remove the bay leaves and discard.
6. Arrange beef and vegetable on a large platter and serve immediately.
Calories 368 Calories from Fat 137
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.4%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 82.5 mg27.5%
Sodium 986 mg41.1%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.9%
Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 25 g50.9%
Vitamin A 103.5% Vitamin C 70.8%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 3.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet