In this video, Betty demonstrates how to make traditional St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef and Cabbage. This recipes just uses corned beef, cabbage, onion and garlic; however, you can turn it into a "New England Boiled Dinner" by adding small potatoes, onions, and carrots about 30 minutes before the end of cooking.
Corned beef brisket
2 1⁄2 Pound
1 , mince
1⁄2 Medium, quartered
1⁄2 Medium, cut into 4 quarters
6 Cup (96 tbs) (as needed)
1. In a Dutch oven or large pot, place corned beef brisket, including the juices, if any. You may also use the spice mix which comes along with the beef in the packet, if desired.
2. Add minced garlic and quartered onion.
3. Pour water until it covers the beef. Cover the pot with lid and place it over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 2 hours or 50 minutes per pound.
5. Transfer meat to a platter and cover it with foil to keep warm.
6. Skim off the fat and debris from the liquid and add cabbage quarters to the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Slice beef across the grain into ½-inch thick slices.
8. To serve garnish a large platter with the fresh outer leaves of the cabbage, place the sliced corned beef in the center of the platter, and surround it with cooked cabbage.