St Patrick's Day Dinner (Glazed Corned Beef-Colcannon Cakes-Glazed Carrots)
|Corned beef||2 Pound, rinsed|
|Spice||1 Tablespoon (peppercorn, thyme, fennel seeds)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown mustard||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For colcannon cakes|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||4 Tablespoon, divided (3 tbsp. for cabbage)|
|Cabbage||1⁄2 Pound, finely chopped|
|Onion||1⁄2 Large, finely chopped|
|Potato||1 Pound, cubed and cooked (cooked for 10 min in salted water)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For dusting)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly grounded|
1. Preheat the oven at 325ºF.
2. In large stock pot place the corned beef and cover with water.
3. Add in the spice blend. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and cook for 2 hours.
4. To make the glaze – In a sauce pan, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
5. After 5 minutes, stir in the brown mustard. Simmer for additional 3 minutes.
6. Place the brisket on a rack in a roaster. Thinly coat meat with glaze.
7. Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees F.
8. For Colcannon Cakes – in a sauté pan add in the water and butter. Followed by cabbage, cook on high heat until cabbage is just cooked and water has almost evaporated.
9. Add in the onions and cook just until mixture is starting to fry.
10. Add in the cabbage mixture into bowl with potatoes. Mash the two together roughly - using pastry masher.
11. Season with black pepper and mix again.
12. Shape mixture into 5 cakes. Dredge in flour.
13. In a saucepan heat oil and remaining butter till foaming.
14. Add in the patties and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side.
15. Slice the meat thinly along the grain and serve with the colcannon cakes and glazed carrots if you like.
Calories 463 Calories from Fat 216
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.4%
Saturated Fat 10.9 g54.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 94.8 mg31.6%
Sodium 841.8 mg35.1%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.5%
Sugars 11.2 g
Protein 23 g45.1%
Vitamin A 6.1% Vitamin C 52.8%
Calcium 5% Iron 5.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet