Stir Fried Beef and Lemon Grass
|Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef shoulder/Beef loin||1⁄2 Kilogram, cut into thin strips|
|Lemongrass stalk||1 Medium|
|Yellow onion||1⁄2 Medium, sliced thin|
|Garlic cloves||3 Medium, minced fine|
|Chili sauce||1 Tablespoon (Sambal Olek - As Required To Taste)|
|Fish sauce||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (As Required To Taste)|
|Lime||1⁄2 Medium, juiced|
|Fresh coriander||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thai basil leaves||15 Medium|
|Green onions||1 Medium, sliced thin diagonally|
|Bean sprouts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Cut off the bottom third of the stalk (like green onions, the root is in the ground – so what you may think is the top is actually the bottom part that is inside the ground)
2. Discard the top dry ends and save the center of the stalk for lemongrass tea.
3. Smash this 1/3 of the stalk with the side of a knife to open it up a little, peel off the outside layers and save for a future use.
4. Chop the soft insides into a fine mince.
5. You’ll need just a tablespoon for this recipe (you can freeze the rest of it for another recipe).
6. Heat a wok over medium-high; add oil, followed 30 seconds later by onions, garlic and lemon grass.
7. Let stir-fry for 3 minutes.
8. Add beef, chili sauce and fish sauce and stir-fry over medium high heat until beef cooks through (about 5 minutes).
9. Add lime juice, and all the garnishes and fry for 30 seconds.
10. Stir well, and serve hot with jasmine rice!
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 816 Calories from Fat 399
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g71%
Saturated Fat 14.4 g71.8%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 198.4 mg66.1%
Sodium 3355.9 mg139.8%
Total Carbohydrates 14 g4.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.6%
Sugars 2.8 g
Protein 88 g175.4%
Vitamin A 32.5% Vitamin C 35.1%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 34%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet