Manzo Alla Sarda
|Dry white wine||1 1⁄4 Pint|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped parsley||3 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaf||1 , crumbled|
|Ground allspice||1 Pinch|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Boneless beef||4 Inch, 4 inches in diameter, trimmed, rolled and tied securely in 4 places (shoulder joint or top of rump)|
|Olive oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Dry white wine||3⁄8 Pint|
|Beef stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Finely chopped fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Flat anchovy fillets||1 , drained, rinsed and finely chopped|
|Lemon juice||3 Drop|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat the oven to Mark 4: 350°F.
2. In a large glass, porcelain or stainless-steel bowl put 1 ¼ pints of white wine, 3 tablespoons of oil, finely chopped parsley, bay leaf, ground allspice, grated nutmeg and salt into it.
3. In the bowl, place the rolled and securely tied beef.
4. Turn it over in the marinade until it moistens on all sides.
5. Marinate the beef for at least 6 hours at room temperature or for about 12 hours in the refrigerator, turning the beef occasionally.
6. Remove the beef from the marinade after 6 hours. Place it in a kitchen paper and pat it completely dry, but do not discard the marinade. Put it aside to be used again later.
7. In a heavy flameproof casserole place the beef.
8. Place Casserole over moderate heat, and melt butter with oil in it. Let the foam to subside.
9. Add beef and brown it on all sides, turning it with 2 wooden spoons.
10. Take a plate, and transfer the browned meat to it.
11. Discard excess fat from the casserole except for a thin layer of fat.
12. Pour in the marinade and boil it briskly over a high heat until it reduces.
13. Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to scrape in any browned bits clinging to the bottom and sides of the pan.
14. Return the beef to the casserole.
15. Add 3/8 pint of white wine and the 3/4 pint of beef stock.
16. The liquid should come about 1/3 of the way up the side of the meat.
17. Add more beef stock if necessary.
18. Place casserole over high heat, and the mixture to boil, cover, and place in the centre of the oven.
19. Braise the beef for 2 to 2 1/2- hours, turning it over in the casserole 2 or 3 times.
20. Cook until the pieces are tender enough to be pierced easily with the tip of a sharp knife. Transfer in a chopping board.
21. In a medium-sizes saucepan, pour the braising liquid through a fine sieve.
22. Allow the liquid to settle for a minute or so.
23. Then with a large spoon skim off as much surface fat as possible.
24. Boil the braising liquid briskly over a high heat, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced to about 3/4 pint.
25. Stir in 2 tablespoons of finely chopped parsley, the chopped anchovy and lemon juice.
26. Taste the sauce and season it with salt and pepper if needed.
27. Cut the strings off the beef and carve the roast into thin, even slices.
28. On a heated serving dish, arrange the slices of beef, in a row, slightly overlapping.
29. Moisten with a few tablespoons of the hot sauce.
30.Serve Manzo Alla Sarda immediately with hot sauce.
Calories 390 Calories from Fat 207
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g36.1%
Saturated Fat 6.2 g31%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.8 mg5.9%
Sodium 1568.2 mg65.3%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.82 g3.3%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 4 g7.1%
Vitamin A 35.5% Vitamin C 42%
Calcium 6.1% Iron 12.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet