|Beef tongue||3 Pound (fresh)|
|Cotechino sausage/Other uncooked pork / beef sausage||1 Pound|
|Boneless lean beef||2 Pound, well trimmed, rolled and securely tied (1 joint, chuck, silverside or topside)|
|Boneless veal||2 Pound, trimmed, rolled and tied securely (1 joint, loin or leg)|
|Onions||4 , peeled and quartered|
|Carrots||4 , peeled and cut in half|
|Celery stalks with leaves||4|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole chicken||3 Pound|
1. In a large sauce pan place tongue. Cover tongue completely with cold water. Place it over high heat and boil.
2. Reduce the heat and cover the pan.
3. Simmer the tongue for about 3 hours, until the meat shows no resistance when it is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
4. Drain excess water from the tongue.
5. With a sharp knife, skin it, cutting away the fat, bones and gristle at its base.
6. In a large pan, lay the sausage flat. Cover it with cold water.
7. Prick the sausage in 5 or 6 places, to release some of the fat from the sausage.and to prevent it from bursting as it cooks.
8. Boil the water.Lower the heat and simmer the sausage, uncovered, for another 45 minutes.
9. Remove it from the pan when it is done and put it aside.
10. In a large saucepan, combine beef, onions, carrots, celery tops, parsley, bay leaf, salt and peppercorns.
11. Pour in enough cold water to cover the meat completely.
12. Bring it to the boil over a high heat.
13. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
14. Reduce the heat and partially cover and allow the beef to simmer for 1 hour before adding the veal.
15. Let the meats simmer together for another 30 minutes, skimming the surface fat as necessary.
16. Add chicken.
17. Cook for 15 minutes, and then add the tongue and sausage.
18. Simmer partially covered for 20 to 30 minutes longer, until the meat is tender.
19. Take a carving board, and transfer the beef, veal, chicken,
tongue and sausage on it.
20. With a sharp knife, peel the skin from the sausage.(If you wish, strain the broth, discarding the vegetables and seasonings, and serve it as a soup course with pasta in it.)
21. Then carve the sausage, beef, veal and tongue into thin, even slices.
22. In a large heated dish, arrange the slices attractively.
23. Carve the chicken into serving pieces and arrange with the sliced meat.
24. Serve Bolliti Misti hot, accompanied by salsa verde.
Calories 2934 Calories from Fat 1804
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 200 g307.6%
Saturated Fat 41.2 g205.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 750.8 mg250.3%
Sodium 4169.4 mg173.7%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.3%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 254 g507.2%
Vitamin A 234.2% Vitamin C 39.5%
Calcium 13.2% Iron 74.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet