Pickled Tongue or Corned Beef
|Brisket/Fresh tongue||6 Pound|
|Kosher salt||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Pickling spice||2 Tablespoon|
|Kosher saltpeter||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||12 Clove (60 gm)|
1) Take a large stone crock and place meat in it.
2) Add sugar, salt, pickling spice, saltpeter, 1 quart water and garlic.
3) Add more water, if required, and cover meat completely.
4) Weight down the meat with a heavy bowl or board.
5) Cover crick with a cheese cloth and tie it in place. Cover the cheese cloth with aluminum foil.
6) Let stand in a cool place for about 8 days and then store in the refrigerator for about 6 days.
7) Before serving, cook in boiling water for about 3 hours or until tender.
Calories 468 Calories from Fat 312
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.2%
Saturated Fat 13.7 g68.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 123.4 mg41.1%
Sodium 7697.4 mg320.7%
Total Carbohydrates 3 g0.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.62 g2.5%
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 34 g67.4%
Vitamin A 0.01% Vitamin C 2.1%
Calcium 1.8% Iron 17.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet