Pressed Ox Tongue
|Powdered gelatin||1 Teaspoon|
1) Into a pot of cold water, add in the tongue. Let the water come to a boil before adding in the onion, carrot, bay leaf and peppercorns.
2) Turn down the flame and cover the pot. Cook for about 40 minutes for per pound pf meat.
3) Remove the ox tongue from the stock and lay it down on a wooden board. Allow it to cool down slightly.
4) Drain the vegetables and discard them.
5) Transfer the stock into an open pan. Cook till the stock is reduced to a little over 1/4 pint.
6) Pull the skin out of the ox tongue. Also, pull out the tiny bones sticking at the bottom of the tongue.
7) Transfer the ox tongue into a rounded cake it, a saucepan or any similar dish. Curl it around the edges slightly so it fits in well into the vessel.
8) Into the stock, add in the powdered gelatine. Mix well and strain onto the ox tongue.
9) Cover the dish with a foil. Weigh it down with some heavy stuff to press the meat into shape. Let the meat and the gelatine mixture cool down completely.
10) Take out the foil. Place the dish in a larger bowl of hot water just so that bottom is touching the water.
11) Hold the tin for a while till the jelly around the meat start to loosen around the edges.
12) Unmould the Pressed Ox Tongue onto a serving plate. Serve green salad on the side.