Stuffed Beef Heart
|Beef heart||5 Pound|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Minced onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lightly packed bread cube||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Or Crumbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh parsley/1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes||1⁄2 Teaspoon, minced|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Strained lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
1) From the beef heart, remove the fat, veins and arteries. Rinse well.
2) In a medium skillet placed over moderate heat, melt the butter.
3) Saute the bread cubes and onion in the butter, along with ½ teaspoon of salt, poultry seasoning, celery seed, parsley and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
4) Transfer the stuffing to a bowl.
5) In the still hot skillet, saute the beef heart thoroughly on all the sides.
6) Take the heart out of the skillet and stuff it with the prepared bread mixture.
7) Into the skillet, pour some water and scrape up the pan juices.
8) In a slow cooker, place the heart, sauce from the skillet and all the remaining ingredients except for the lemon juice.
9) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, till the contents are tender.
10) Before it is time to serve, transfer the heart to a warm serving dish.
11) Into a small skillet, turn the cooking liquids from the cooker and add the lemon juice. Gently simmer till the liquid has reduced and is slightly thick.
12) Pour the hot sauce all over the still hot beef heart and serve right away. Makes a good main course dish and goes well with toasted bread as well as cooked rice.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3246 Calories from Fat 1254
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 140 g214.8%
Saturated Fat 53.4 g267.2%
Trans Fat 1.6 g
Cholesterol 2503.6 mg834.5%
Sodium 6878.2 mg286.6%
Total Carbohydrates 67 g22.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.5%
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 394 g787.9%
Vitamin A 46.8% Vitamin C 316.3%
Calcium 39.3% Iron 600.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet